Quite possibly one of my favorite breakfast cakes. It’s basically the equivalent of a coffee cake, except with a lot more sugar…and almonds. There are tons of them sprinkled all over the top!
I always tell myself that the almonds give this recipe the much needed health factor. Mostly they just add that crunchy aspect that makes your taste buds so happy!
For the Cake Batter
- 3/4 cup unsalted, melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose white flour
For the Topping
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 3 ounces sliced almonds (roughly 1/2 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly coat 9 inch cake pan with Pam and set aside. In a large bowl, combine melted butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs and mix until batter is creamy and one consistent color. Next add salt, almond extract, vanilla extract, and flour and stir until batter is smooth
- Using a spatula, scrape batter into greased cake pan. Sprinkle 1 tbsp. and sliced almonds on top. Place pan on the middle rack and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. The top will have a light brown hue; if not browned enough, bake for 5 more minutes
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a heatproof counter for at least 30 minutes